Sunday, November 1, 2009

Gwenna Project: Lost and Found (Mark and Josh)- Still out for consideration. Still keeping the good thought that if I've heard nothing, then I haven't been rejected yet. Should I be lucky enough to actually get this picked up by someone, I've already got a sequel in mind.

Gwenna Project: VN2 (Nate and Ian)- Word count 20,533K. I'm writing again on this one, was able to write both Friday and yesterday and it's feeling good. I'm pushing the boundries way out on my original concept and I have to say, I like the results. It's dark and edgy and gritty and that's what I really want in this. Hope to get between 500 and 1000 words done today.

Gwenna Project: Melody Blue (Holly and Dennis)- WWII period piece set in England. I've got the basic rough outline in place and the two main characters down. I'm also working with a friend who lives in England for a feel of the countryside and the weather and other specifics I need to give it the realism I want. I am using my research and supporting characters from my traditional fiction story that I've shelved. Next step will be to set the rest of the characters, name my fictional town and airfield and then flesh out the rough outline into a full detailed one.

Gwenna Project: Hue- This is still only in the barest of research phases. I've pulled my notes from when I worked with my Vietnam veteran friend and ordered a couple of books on the battle that took place during the Tet offensive. I'm 95% sure I'm going to stick with two young Marines in this, but there was an Army presence there with MACV. But the Marines were the real story there, as well as what was up until that battle, a beautiful city. This was a long battle involving a lot of different aspects and I'm going to define it down to a specific point and around these two specific men. I have some ideas of flash backs from these two of time spent together in the beautiful city set against the reality of the firefight they are in. Once I have the books and some other research done, I can define it more in my head and get the outline down. I'll have a working title at least too. For now I'm just calling it Hue.

On the subject of research. I've discovered I LOVE Bing.com. I've always relied on Google like everyone else, but I get tired of sorting all the flotsam out of a serach to get what I need. Bing.com seems to cut to exactly what it is I'm looking for. If I want a map of the United Kingdom during WWII showing locations of American airfields, that's what I get. If I want material having to due with the Battle of Hue, or GI slang specific to the Vietnam era then that's what pops up. It's become a huge time saver for me. If you need to do research like I do since I work on so much period material, Bing.com in my opinion, can't be beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment